Staff Review -- VapeNow.com
October 19th, 2007
The VaporTower receives a little less press than some of the other models we've tested, but we found it to be a very functional vaporizer. It's a direct-inhale unit as opposed to a balloon-style vaporizers, so the technique differs, but you can definitely achieve comparable results with it.
Pros & Cons
- Very efficient
- Less expensive
- Well designed whip
- No plastic
- Long power cord
- Vertical design
THE BOTTOM LINE: We came away feeling very satisfied with the VaporTower. It is very efficient and easy to use. The only minor inconveniences were not knowing when the unit had reached the proper temperature and having to refill the chamber often, which is only troublesome because it can get hot. Also, it's important to know know the proper inhalation technique: it took us about three tries until we were able to get satisfactory vapor density on our inhales, but now that we know the technique it is very easy to use. There is definitely a learning curve. But if you are diligent in using the tower and read the directions (VaporTower recently released better, updated instructions), there are upsides to vaporizers that are direct-inhale and not fan driven. Mainly, you are getting higher purity vapor because any the vapor in any fan driven/bag delivery system is going to be diluted with oxygen. Also, unlike some fan-driven models, you will lose no vapor as the VaporTower does not vaporize unless one is using it. This is currently our favorite of all the direct-inhale vaporizer models we've tested.
- Small filling chamber must be refilled after 3-5 inhales (we recommend buying the party-sized filling chamber)
- No temperature indicator
- Direct inhale only
- Base/Heating Coil:
Like most direct inhale vaporizers, hot air is generated by a heating coil in the base. The VaporTower uses a ceramic heating element encased in a glass shell. All of this is housed inside a nice looking wooden box with a hole in the top to access the heating coil. The temperature of the coil is regulated by the silver knob on the front of the VaporTower, next to the power switch. The heating coil takes about 5-7 minutes to heat up before you are ready to vaporize.
Dimensions: The Hot Air generator is approximately 6" tall 5" sqaure at the base.
The whip consists of two peices of glass -- the mouthpiece and the filling chamber -- connected by plastic tubing. The filling chamber of the whip (or the "gourd" as the VaporStore guys referred to it) screws apart, which is where you put the material you want to vaporize. When it is screwed back together the gourd/filling chamber fits snugly over the heating coil.
Quickstart -- Click here for a Step-by-Step Video Tutorial:
- Plug in the VaporTower.
- Set your desired temperature with the silver knob (somewhere between 12 and 1 o'clock on the dial and wait for at least 5 minutes. Load the filling chamber while you wait. Make sure not to overfill the chamber. you need air to circulate.
- Fit the gourd/filling chamber over the heating coil. It will fit snugly, no need to push down too hard.
- Take a long slow inhale. You should see vapor in the gourd. If you don't see any vapor try using short puffs until you see some vapor. Also, you can adjust the temperature upward.
- A filling usually lasts 5-7 good inhales before all the active ingredients have been vaporizered. Wait for the filling chamber/gourd to cool off before unscrewing it. The thing gets hot!
- Turn the VaporTower Off.
Cleaning the VaporTower is very easy. Take apart the gourd and soak all the components in some rubbing alcohol for an hour or so. Rinse off with water, dry, and reassemble.
- When the VaporTower has reached the right temperature, the wood sides of Tower should feel fairly warm to the touch.
- Finding the right temperature-breath combination for the VaporTower is very important. The first times we tried the VaporTower were very frustrating because our technique was not right. Remember there is a relationship between inhale speed and temperature: if you are inhaling slowly the air doesn't need to be as hot because it is spending more time passing through the material. One the other hand if you are inhaling quickly, i.e. short little puffs, a higher temperature is needed because the hot air is spending less time in contact with the material.
- For those who have tried fan-driven vaporizers, it's helpful to think of yourself as essentially being the fan when using the VaporTower.
That's all for the VaporTower. Thanks for reading.
-- The VapeNow Staff