AroMed 4.0 Vaporizer Review
Staff Review MP -- VapeNow.com
March 22, 2009
One thing I REALLY love about the vaporizer market is that there’s so much variety. So many different sizes, shapes, colors, options, and the products are constantly evolving. The flipside of this is that it’s easy for a really good vaporizer to get lost in the shuffle. I think that’s what’s happened with the AroMed 4.0, as there really hasn’t been much talk in the community about this unit. So here’s why this vaporizer is worthy of your consideration, my friends…
Pros & Cons
- WATER FILTERED!!!
- Energy saving UV free halogen bulb as heat source
- Digital heat controls
- Very efficient
- All glass, no plastics
- Heat source ABOVE your material, not below like others
- Long, food grade tubing
- Glass pieces used at both ends of whip
- Comes in plastic carrying case
- Precise construction
- 3 year warranty
- Some parts feel VERY brittle
- Takes time to find the right temperature
- Temperature indicator is in an awkward position
- The unit’s “neck” can be hard to adjust in small increments
THE BOTTOM LINE: “A Science Experiment”. That’s how I described it when I first saw the AroMed 4.0. The main unit looks like a tank… and feels like one. You can tell the whole thing was of an excellent quality and construction. A 3 year warranty backs that up. It is also both the most beautiful and ugly vaporizer I have ever seen. Visually, it’s very archaic, as you can see. The beauty, however, lies on the inside, the “guts” of the unit. There’s the UV Free Halogen Bulb provides about as pure of a heat source as you’ll ever find. Plus, it’s located ABOVE the filling chamber, not below like other vaporizers. As we all know, heat rises which typically results in lost vapor. Having the heat source ABOVE the material does NOT create any wasted vapor. The downside of this is that while the temperature readout IS accurate, your tobacco or herbs won’t cook the same as in any other vaporizer. Imagine you have a Hot Box type of vape and you pull the whip away from the heater every time. Your tobacco or herbs cool down and it just takes a little more to heat them up. I found very trace amounts of smoke in my vapor when I had the unit set to 400F. Other users have said the same. It’s also pretty cool to watch the bulb get brighter as you inhale. The other GREAT thing that makes this unit so unique is that it is WATER FILTERED!!! I know I keep capitalizing those words but show me another vaporizer out there that comes with its own water filtering kit. Yes, you can add water kits to some vaporizers but this one comes with it and is made to do it! The AroMed 4.0 gives you the purest, coldest vapor on the market, hands down. This is vapor the way it was meant to be. The unfortunate part of all of this is that in order get the cleanest vapor on the market, you need to have nerves of steel and hands of velvet. The glass pieces are all, of course, delicate. There is a thin glass stem that goes into the beaker of water that feels pretty sturdy, as far as glass goes. At the top of the stem, where the tobacco or herbs are and the bulb attaches to the stem, it’s a solid but thin piece of glass. I couldn’t help but cringe every time I placed the bulb inside the stem. However, with its water filtering, UV free energy saving halogen bulb and efficiency that rivals the Volcano and the herbalaire, you will be swimming in the purest, most particle free vapor that’s available today.
The hot air is created by the UV free halogen bulb which is attached to the flexible neck. The neck is attached to a very solid metal box with a digital readout on the end. There are 2 buttons to increase or decrease the temperature. The bulb heats up very quickly.
Dimensions: The AroMed Box is approximately 4” Wide x 3” Tall x 9" Long.
2. Whip and Beaker:
The glass beaker is attached by a rubber strap to one end of the unit. The whip attaches to a small nipple on top of the beaker. The glass stem sinks down into the water and when you inhale, the vapor goes through the water, which cools it down and removes many particles from the vapor. The glass stem also contains the mesh screen to place your tobacco or herbs on. The top of this then connects with a “click” to the halogen bulb.
- Plug in the AroMed 4.0.
- Fill water beaker approx half full and attach with the flat side of the beaker to the electric box with the rubber band.
- Attach the whip to the beaker. Insert the glass stem into the top of the beaker.
- Fill the desired amount of tobacco or herbs on the metal screen. Just use enough to cover the whole screen.
- Bend the flexible arm and insert the bulb into the top of the glass stem very carefully. It will give a small “click”, that’s when it’s on properly. I found that it did not click anymore after it heated up, so it doesn’t always need to click, just as long as it’s fairly close to the stem.
- Press the red button on the front and set a temperature. As I mentioned, 380F – 400F should be a good starting point.
- While in the heating phase, a red dot is glowing constantly on the upper left side of the display. When the red dot is blinking, the system is heated to the chosen temperature. Now you can inhale slowly. The red dot should blink all the time. If you inhale too hard, the red dot will glow permanently.
- Watch your tobacco or herbs. If they are getting dark and burning, the heat is too high.
- Unplug the AroMed when you’re finished.
Cleaning the AroMed is simply a matter of soaking the glass pieces in Isopropyl or Rubbing Alcohol for an hour or so. Rinse off with water, dry, and reassemble. You may have to use a small scrub brush to get it thoroughly clean. DO NOT try to clean the metal box! The halogen bulb does not need to be cleaned.
- BE CAREFUL! The top of the glass stem will reach a temperature close to the temperature that it is set to. The bulb will also be very hot. Please use caution when dealing with these hot parts.
- DON’T GET FRUSTRATED! Finding the right temperature / breath combination for the AroMed is very important. The first few times you try it, you may not succeed very well. EXPECT IT. However, don’t give up. Experiment. Start by inhaling very slowly with deep breaths. Did you see vapor or smoke? The vapor should disappear quickly. If it lingers and looks smoky, then you need to inhale quicker. Sometimes you need to leave the tobacco or herbs in there for a minute to heat up. Remember there is a relationship between inhale speed and temperature. If you are inhaling slowly, the air will be hotter and will cook your tobacco or herbs more. On the other hand, if you are inhaling quickly, the air around the material will not be as hot, so it won’t cook things properly.